Happy Columbus day readers! Today’s post is special for two reasons:
1) I found an incredible marshmallow frosting recipe that will be perfect for halloween ghost cupcakes!
2) It’s monday, which means it’s Mingle Monday over at Life of Meg (http://megnificentlife.blogspot.com/). I have come to look forward to Monday’s simply for Migle Monday.
Life of Meg is a blog about well…the life of a girl named Meg. Her blog is creative, flirty, and fun! As far as cupcakes go, I get a lot of inspiration from the colors and pictures she often posts. She write about anything and everything – from date nights and breast cancer awareness, to Glee and travel tips. Overall, it’s a really fun and easy read!
My favorite part of her blog however, is Mingle Monday. Here’s how it works:
- Wait for Monday to arrive
- Go to http://megnificentlife.blogspot.com/
- Add your blog name to the list of Mingle Monday Participants
- Find 2 new blogs from the list of other bloggers that are participating in Mingle Minday
- Read their blogs and leave comments mentioning you found them on Mingle Monday
- Report back to Life of Meg by leaving a comment saying what you liked most about the new blogs you found!
- Ta-Da, you just Mingled!
It’s a great way to get your blog some exposure while finding some really cool new blogs to read. So here’s a shout out to Meg, your blog rocks! Thanks for giving all of us a venue to find new blogs and to get some exposure for our own blogs.
Alright, so now for the fabulous Marshmallow Whip frosting that I have officially fallen inlove with!
Marshmallow Whip – From the book “Baking: From my home to yours”
1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 large)
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup water
1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract – 1/2 tablespoon of Marhmallow flavoring
- Put the egg whites in your mixer bowl or in another large bowl – Make sure the bowl you use is 100% dry.
- Put the sugar, cream of tartar and water in a small saucepan and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, cover the pan and boil for 3 minutes.
- Uncover your saucepan and allow the syrup to boil until it reaches 242 degrees F on the candy thermometer. While the syrup is cooking, start beating the egg whites on medium-low speed.
- Remove mixture from heat – let cool until temperature reaches 235 degrees.
- When the syrup is at about 235 degrees F, begin beating the egg whites on medium speed with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer. If the whites form firm, shiny peaks before the syrup reaches temperature, reduce the mixer speed to low and keep mixing the whites until the syrup catches up. With the mixer at medium speed, and standing back slightly, carefully pour in the hot syrup, pouring it between the beater(s) and the side of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla and marshmallow flavoring and keep beating the whites at medium speed until they reach room temperature, about 5 minutes.
Perfect for chocolate cupcakes, lemon cupcakes, strawberry cupcakes, or my favorite..coconut cupcakes! Enjoy xo