Happy Monday! I woke this morning to FREEZING temperatures (well freezing to a Florida girl like myself). The Christmas season is officially here! Today I want to give you some tips on how to make gorgeous holiday cupcakes without breaking the bank.
In my mind, there are 4 things that are essential to making adorable (and yummy) holiday cupcakes.
- Holiday Sprinkles
- Holiday themed cupcake wrappers
- Holiday Flavors
- Red and Green Food Coloring
Let’s start with sprinkles. As I have said before, the sprinkles you put on your cupcake can make or break the presentation. You never want too many, but you don’t want too little. If working with large sprinkles, I usually use 5-6. But if I’m working with small sprinkles, I use 1/4 a tsp on each.
Where can you find great and affordable sprinkles?? Well I’m glad you asked!
- Walmart – In the holiday section you can find Wilton Brand holiday sprinkles for $1.99. Such a great price!! Only problem is your options are often limited and you have to go to Walmart. (I avidly hate that place!)
- Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Tuesday Morning – Any of these stores will carry season sprinkles in their “gourmet food” section. You can get a decent sized bottle of sprinkles for about $2.99. Larger containers of sprinkles range from $4-$6.
- The Dollar Store – Yup, that’s right, the dollar store! You can always find non periels, and sanding sugar in festive colors at your local Dollar Store. You won’t find one likes snowflakes, trees, or candy canes, but hey…for only a dollar, what do you expect 🙂
The key is variety – you want a good variety so you can combine different sprinkles and have your own custom looking cupcake!
Next on the list are cupcake wrappers. This is simple… Michaels Craft store. They have ADORABLE cupcake wrappers at really great prices! You can get 50 Wilton brand wrappers for $1.99. You can even print off this coupon and get 40% off! http://mic.michaels.com/20101205SLUSLP.aspx
Moving on to Holiday Flavor. The key to a fabulous Christmas Cupcake is the flavor. You want something festive, something people don’t have all year long. Think of flavors like:
- Candy Cane
- Pumpkin Spice
- Egg Nog
Feel free to browse my blog for some yummy holiday recipes!
Last but not least, we get to the food coloring. You want to make sure that your frosting is as festive as the rest of your cupcake. Red and green frostings can add a seasonal touch to simple frostings like vanilla, marshmallow whip, or buttercream.
Again, I find that Walmart has decent priced food coloring in their seasonal isle.
Hope this helps you to make adorable, and affordable Christmas Cupcakes. I can’t wait to hear about your cupcake creations. Have a great day.
Stay sweet! xoxo
**All photos in this post are from www.weheartit.com **