I love these miniature little cupcakes for several reasons:
1) They are so darn easy to make!!
2) They look beautiful and require little to no decorating skills
3) They add the perfect amount of “pazzaz” to any birthday party!
So let’s get started! For these cupcake you will need a miniature cupcake pan and miniature cupcake liners.
I chose to make a vanilla butter cake as my base – you can use whatever yummy recipe you feel comfortable with.
Vanilla Butter Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. In measuring cup, mix milk and vanilla.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat just until smooth, scraping the bowl occasionally with a spatula.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners (I usually fill them close to the top of the liner that way they puff up nicely) and bake for about 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting the cupcakes.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbs of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp of orange juice
- Rainbow colored sanding sugar
- With an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter. Mix on low until well blended.
- Continue mixer on medium for another two minutes.
- Add vanilla and whipping cream, beating on medium for another minute.
- Now here’s my secret…I add a little bit of lemon and orange juice to this frosting. This gives it a hint of fruity flavor that makes the mini cupcake even more fun! Kids love it too! Omit this step if you want a pure vanilla buttercream
- Frosting should be light and fluffy.
Fill a piping bag with your frosting. Cut the tip off so there is a small hole. Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake – leaving only a dollop of frosting on each – do not worry about spreading out or piping in a design.
Pour your multi-colored sanding sugar onto a plate.
Dip each frosted cupcake into the sprinkles – smashing the frosting down around the top of the cupcake.
And there you have it – gorgeous, colorful, and delicious cupcakes that were super easy to make!! You’re cupcakes are going to be a hit at any party you bring them too. I just know it!
Stay sweet xoxo
** Follow me on Twitter @ StayCalmCupcake – I only need 27 more followers and I will give away 2 free cupcake kits!! **