I love the idea of a Red Hot cupcake! It is the perfect recipe for spicing things up a bit on Valentine ’s Day.
Unfortunately, when I looked around for a good recipe, I couldn’t seem to find one that wasn’t a) super complicated or b) filled with tons of actual spices. I’m not against using real spices, but I really wanted my cupcake to taste like the little red hot candies vs spicy chili powder and cinnamon.
I combined a few recipes and came up with my own way to flavor it just the way I wanted to!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup of butter (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups of Red Hots
- Additional ½ cup of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your cupcake pan with paper liners
- In a medium sauce pan on low heat add your Red Hots, 1/2 cup of sugar,1/2 cup of butter, 3 tbs of water
- Let the Red Hots melt. Stirring continually so it doesn’t burn
- Let simmer until most of the Red Hots have melted and mixed in with the sugar and butter.
- In a medium bowl, cream together 1 cup of sugar and ½ cup of butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Pour in your red hot liquid – mix well
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk until batter is smooth.
- Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
10. Bake 20 to 25 minutes
For the frosting, I think a Marshmallow Whip is the perfect addition. Decorate with Red Hots and enjoy!