It’s finally Thursday – only one more day until Friday – glorious Friday!! So let’s chat cupcakes! I’m thinking sweet and salty cupcakes!
I was inspired the other night to create a recipe for a crunchy pretzel cupcake topped with chocolate frosting and drizzled with caramel. What could be better? I don’t know about you, but I love the sweet and salty combo!
Let’s get started!
The base of this cupcake is a butter cake. For that you will need:
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (a stick and a half) unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into pieces
- 3 cups of crushed up pretzels
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees
- Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Fill each cupcake liner with 1.5 tbs of crushed pretzels
- In a medium bowl combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup milk, and vanilla extract.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt) and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds or until blended. Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk.
- Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the egg mixture, in 3 additions, beating about 30 seconds after each addition to incorporate the egg.
- Pour the batter over the crushed pretzels in each of your cupcake liners
- Bake for 18-20 minutes – until golden brown on the top
Top with gooey chocolate frosting and drizzle with warm caramel. Sprinkle with remaining pretzel bits if desired. The perfect late night snack! Even better with a cocktail!
Don’t forget to enter my Delightful Design Giveaway!!