I realized the other day that I don’t have one single post that gives a very basic buttercream recipe. Shame on me!
Buttercream is perfect on any flavor cupcake, and is great for cake decorating as well. I love this recipe because I can easily adapt it to make any other flavor I dream up.
So here it is, my favorite buttercream frosting recipe!
Stay Calm Cupcake Buttercream
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 stick of salted butter (softened)
- 4 cups of powdered sugar (sifted)
- 3 tbs of half and half
- 1 tbs of vanilla
- In your stand mixer, cream the butter on medium high until it turns white and fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time- mixing on medium speed
- Add the half and half and the vanilla – mix well for 2 minutes or until well combined
- If you want thicker buttercream – add more powdered sugar.
This is a perfect base frosting for many other yummy frosting flavors.
Add any of the following ingredients to change the flavor:
- Fresh raspberry puree
- Mint Extract
- Peanut Butter
- Lemon Zest
- Lime Zest
- Orange Zest
- Apricot Jam
- Oreo Cookie Crumbs
- And lots more – just get creative!