Today is a very special day for me and I’m excited to share it with you all. One year ago today I opened up Stay Calm Cupcake Shop. It’s cliché to say, but I honestly can’t believe how fast the time has gone by.
In the past year I have learned so much about myself, my passion for cupcakes, the importance of a great customer, and the best way to be successful in an industry that’s always changing. I want to share a few key things that helped me succeed over the past year. I think these are important things to remember when running your own shop.
1. Do what makes you happy, even if you think it’s impossible! I thought that running a successful online shop and having a full time day job would be impossible. It’s not impossible; it just takes a bit of hard work and alot of dedication.
2. Promote your shop like it’s your job – because it is! I never let a day go by when I don’t post, comment, or interact on social media sites. Make Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram your best friends! They are free tools to help you network and promote your shop.
3. Give people more than they expect. I can’t tell you the many times I’ve given people free cupcakes, surprise samples in the mail, or extra goodies in an order. A little thoughtfulness goes such a long way with your customer.
4. Blog! I love blogging, and don’t post as often as I should. But I can tell you that my inspiration comes from all of the amazing bloggers I interact with on a daily basis. Blogs are great for getting inspiration, support, and even publicity. I would not have been so successful this year had it not been for blogs like: The Cupcake Blog, Sock It To Me, Mrs. Stephanie T, Delightful Designs, It’s Simple Love, and so so so many others who supported and promoted my shop!
5. Trust your customer. Feedback is key. Listen to what your customers are telling you and react accordingly. Without a solid customer base, I would have nothing. It’s important to keep that in mind!
6. Lastly – Make friends with other shops. Don’t be afraid of competition. Sometimes a little healthy competition is good I have met so many incredible etsy shop owners that have more than inspired me to improve my shop.
So, what’s next for Stay Calm Cupcake?
Right now I am developing some very yummy fall flavors including Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas treats. I am working with a designer to launch my own website, and am continuing to look for a cupcake truck to purchase. I’m happy to report that my dream of owning and operating the StayCalmCupcake Truck is closer now than ever. I can’t share too much right now, but I’ll keep you posted I also continue to cater parties and deliver to locals in the Volusia County, Florida area. Things are moving along nicely! I couldn’t feel more blessed.
Again, thank you for all the support and cupcake purchases over the past year! I cherish all of you and look forward to many more years of successful cupcake baking!
Use code “SweetYear” for a 25% off discount on any single item in my shop. Offer good Until October 1, 2011
Stay Sweet Friends! xoxo