St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than with some mint chocolate chip cupcakes! This recipe is a classic and the minty green frosting makes its perfectly festive for an Irish holiday.
Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
~*~ Makes 15 Cupcakes ~*~
Ingredients for Chocolate Cake:
- 1 stick Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 tbs Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 tbs Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is soft, then add sugar. Beat about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating until they are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk them until they are well combined
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar and beat it just to combine.
- Add the liquids (milk & vanilla), scrape down bowl and beat to combine.
- Continue adding the dry ingredients. Beat for another minute till smooth
- Fill cupcake liners and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- 2 sticks of room temperature butter (it’s very important they are room temp)
- 3 cups of powdered sugar (no need to sift)
- 1 tbs of cream of tartar
- 6 tbs of Half and Half
- 1/2 cup of thawed cool whip
- 1/4 tsp mint extract (use a little more depending on how “minty” you want it)
- 2 drops of green food coloring
- Beat the butter in your mixer until very creamy. You will need to scrape the bowl several times
- Adding one cup of powdered sugar at a time, mix in with the butter.
- Add the half and half and mint extract. Beat on medium speed for 5 minutes (be patient!)
- Add the cream of tartar, food color and cool whip.
- Mix on medium high for another 3-4 minutes.
I like to decorate my cupcakes with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. It’s also a nice touch to bake them in some festive cupcake liners.
There you have it, an easy and delicious way to celebrate the luck of the Irish!