Can you believe it is already the end of January?!? I do not enjoy how fast time is flying. Seems the older I get, the more I find myself questioning where the heck the time went!! It doesn’t help that many stores had Valentine’s decorations and candy on sale before Christmas was even over. I LOVE Valentine’s day – but they started pushing it a little early this year!
Speaking of , there are officially 25 days left until Valentine’s Day. Which means we all still have a decent amount of time to think about what we are going to get that special someone on the day that celebrates love! It also means that for the next 25 days, I have an awesome excuse to bake, decorate, and eat tons of girly pink cupcakes!
Today I want to share some Valentine Inspiration with you. Hopefully this will help you start thinking about the many SWEET ways we can celebrate Valeninte’s Day – starting with fresh Strawberry Frosting!
**The frosting in the pictures is my Strawberry Buttercream. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of my Fresh Strawberry Frosting. **
Fresh Strawberry Frosting
This yummy strawberry frosting is perfect for any chocolate, vanilla, or lemon cupcake. It is fresh, elegant, and taste amazing! The pink color and the fresh strawberries make it the perfect Valentine’s treat. This frosting is different from my Strawberry Buttercream, but just as easy and just as yummy!
1. 4 cups of fresh strawberries (frozen will work just as well, make sure you thaw them though)
2. 1 stick of room temperature butter
3. 8 oz of low-fat cream cheese
4. ½ tsp of vanilla extract
5. 4 cups of powdered sugar
6. 1 cup of white sugar
7. 2 tbs of water Pink food coloring (optional)
• In a mixer on medium high speed with your paddle attachment, cream together the butter and cream cheese
• Slowly add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, making sure it is fully combined before adding the next one.
• Add the vanilla and mix on high for 3-5 minutes
• Dice up the strawberries in small cubes, put in a medium sauce pan
• Add 1 cup of white sugar and 2 tbs of water to the strawberries
• With a potato masher, mash the strawberries together with the sugar
• Heat on medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
• Let cool in the fridge until mixture thickens
• Add the cooled strawberry compote to the mixer and combine with the frosting (make sure your strawberries are completely cooled or you will ruin your frosting) Mix for 2 minutes.
• Add pink food coloring for a pinker frosting (optional)
There you have it, yummy strawberry frosting! I like this frosting best on top of a chocolate cupcake- it’s a fun take on chocolate covered strawberries 🙂 After all, who doesn’t love strawberries and chocolate!
Enjoy the recipe and keep an eye out for a Valentine’s Giveaway – coming soon!!!
*All photos are property of Stay Calm, Have a Cupcake. Photos by ABYoung Photography**