Hello my loves! Today I am so excited to share a super fun recipe with you!
This weekend I was asked to cater a special “going away” luncheon. I decided to make summer flower cupcakes. They were so easy and the guests loved them! The set up and decorations were really fun too.
Let’s get started!
Summer Flower Cupcakes
Ingredients for the Cake
• 6 cups white flour sifted
• 2 tablespoons baking powder
• 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
• 3 cups granulated sugar
• 2 cups milk
• 2 tbs of Vanilla Extract
• 12 egg whites
Directions for the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Fill cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Set aside.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Set aside.
5. With mixer at slow speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk.
6. Beat well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
7. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
8. Pour into cupcake liners.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
Ingredients for the frosting and the decoration:
- One bag of mini, colored marshmallows
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 stick of salted butter (softened)
- 4 cups of powdered sugar (sifted)
- 3 tbs of half and half
- 1 tbs of vanilla
- In your stand mixer, cream the butter on medium high until it turns white and fluffy (about 5 minutes)
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time- mixing on medium speed
- Add the half and half and the vanilla – mix well for 2 minutes or until well combined
- If you want thicker buttercream – add more powdered sugar.
- Once your frosting is finished, set aside
- Cut the mini marshmallows is half, creating little petals
- After your cupcakes have cooled completely, frost them. For best results, I used a piping bag to pie the frosting in a swirl on the cupcake. This gave the cupcakes a more polished look once the petals were placed on top.
- Starting at the outside edge of the cupcake, place the petals all around. Do this for 3 layers. Finish by putting a different color marshmallow in the center. I used yellow.
***Important note: These cupcakes should not be left uncovered or refrigerated, it makes the marshmallow petals dry put and look shriveled up.
For the display, I used some pots from the gardening section of my local grocery store, covered them with some ribbon, and placed Styrofoam inside of them. I covered the Styrofoam with some green “grass” and placed the cupcakes on skewers and stuck them into the pot. It turned out really cute and people were amazed at how creative the cupcakes were. The best part was, these cupcakes were one of the easiest things I have done in a while.
These cute cupcakes are a must for your next event! Let me know if you have any questions about the recipe.