So here it is friends, the long awaited and much requested Key Lime Pie Cupcake recipe! Just in time for all of the green festivities that St. Patrick’s Day brings us next month.
This tart and tangy, sweet and sassy cupcake certainly packs a punch. It is a guaranteed hit with anyone who loves Key Lime Pie as much as I do….which admittedly, is too much! 🙂
Key Lime Cupcake
Makes 24 Cupcakes
- 6 cups cake flour sifted
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 8 egg whites
- 1 Lime
- 3 tbs of Lime Jello Mix (dry)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Fill Cupcake pan with liners
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with hand mixer until stiff, but not dry. Set aside.
- With your stand mixer at slow speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with milk. Beat well after each addition.
- Add in 3 tbs of dry Lime Jello mix – mix well to incorporate
- Beat in 1/3 cup of lime juice
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
Whip Cream Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract in the bowl of your stand mixer. Use the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth.
While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream.
Stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl a couple of times while you continue.
Continue mixing until the frosting can hold a firm peak. Do not over beat though.
- The zest of one lime
- 15 graham crackers, crushed
- Lime green sanding sugar
Once your cupcakes have cooled and your frosting is ready – pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Place the graham cracker crumbles on a plate and roll the edge of the cupcake in the crumbs. Sprinkle each cupcake with lime zest. Finish with a few lime green sugar sprinkles.
There you have it! Fun, festive, and delicious!! Until next time, Stay Sweet!